At the moment, we have an option to list the newest questions, why not have one to list the newest answers as well?
This feature would be beneficial for two reasons:
- It would benefit users who come to the site during a brief break, looking to learn something, but without enough time to post an answer (and thus not wanting to look at the recent unanswered questions). With the current setup, such users have to slog through a mishmash of edits, retags, questions, and answers on the active list or else clicking through various newest questions to find actual new content to read.
- Allowing users to view a list of recent answers could help to revive older questions. Oftentimes new responses to old questions get pushed down the active list so quickly that they go largely unnoticed, but listing recent answers on their own list (or even giving an option to list recent answers to old questions) would help to make sure that such answers are not overlooked.
I expect that because there are already six ways to view posts (newest, featured, frequent, votes, active, unanswered) on the questions page and five (active, featured, hot, week, month) on the main page, people might be reluctant to add another. Instead of adding a newest answers list on the questions page, three alternative solutions to the problem of being unable easily to view recent answers could be:
- Add an option to search for answers, including for answers to questions older than a certain time. [EDIT: The option to search for answers exists, even though it's not possible to filter them by question.]
- Change the active page to use alternatives to the word modified. (This feature would be beneficial regardless of whether there's any consensus about a need for a newest answers list.)
- Highlight any entry on the newest questions list that has answers you haven't yet read.
Would you also be interested in having a recent answers list?