The reason I have come to asking this question is due to the plethora of questions that are of the effect of "this word" vs "that word".
- Are these types of questions always on-topic for UX.SE ?
- Are these types of question only sometimes on-topic for UX.SE ?
- If they are deemed off-topic, what should we do with them?
There might be some actual on-topic questions below; I'm not passing judgement, just showing the trend of "this word" vs "that word"
- Using "Sign in" vs using "Log in"
- Legend Or Key??
- "Your" vs "My" in user interfaces
- Should I use Yes/No or Ok/Cancel on my message box?
- "Edit" or "Change"?
- Save, Favorite or Star?
- 'My Account' or 'Your Account'?
- Do we “exit”, “quit” or "close" an application?
- Save vs. Submit vs. Done vs. "Specific Action"
- Avatar vs Profile Picture vs Display Picture
So what do we do with the off-topic questions that are just "this word" vs "that word"?
Under 60 days, we can vote-to-close and flag it to be migrated to English.SE.
Over 60 days, do we vote-to-close as off-topic because it belongs on English.SE but is too old?
This would eliminate future answers and comments, as well as discourage these types of questions.
If this is the case, do we need a new close reason to support this?
@JonW asked something similar back in 2012 :
It didn't really receive that much attention, as it only has 53 views, as of right now.