I often find myself looking for the names of design patterns and UI components.

Is it an on-topic question to describe what I am looking for, then ask for the name of it?

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things.

-- Phil Karlton

This question/answer set seems to say “no,” but it appears to be in reference to a question about APIs which is not on topic for UX.

1 Answer 1


Yes, there's even a tag for it: .

The only caveat I would put is questions should be more "What is the industry standard term for this thingy" not "Let's come up with a good name for this thingy". The first solicits answers, the latter opinions.

  • Thanks! That's a good point to look for tags...What about questions that solicit comparisons between similar terms? Apr 6, 2016 at 20:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .