Every time I go to share a question I forget there are twitter and facebook links and do it manually. This is because the links are written in plain text beneath the entire thread rather than using the well-known "tweet" and "recommend" buttons that each network provides, and placing them in the area I'm likely to expect them (by the question).
The current situation:
The icons beneath the favorite button to the left don't seem to work on me because:
- They look completely different than the official buttons
- They're located in a position where I don't expect them, off to the side
- They're just icons and don't include words I scan for like "tweet" and "like"
We can improve on this with the following changes:
- Move the tweet/facebook links to the area below the "mod link edit ..." links by each question, still within the vertical whitespace created by the post author avatar badge to the right
- Replace the plain text with the tweet and recommend buttons provided by Twitter and Facebook
It would be worth A/B testing to see whether a new, prominent position using official buttons has a higher sharing conversion than the current customised ones.
PS. From a UX standpoint this is a bug but I'll tag it as feature-request for convenience's sake ;)
It looks like part of this suggestion was implemented; there are now more obvious calls to actio beneath questions for posting to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, although they're still "styled" and not default widgets.