The tag wiki for explains the problem well enough:

refers to both Microsoft's operating system by that name, and the rectangular frame with a title bar and UI inside it.

We really need unique tags for the and as a general concept. What should we name each?

2 Answers 2


Yah. Let's split them into and .

  • Agreed. I'll (slowly) start retagging the windows question. Anyone can feel free to suggest better tag wikis for them.
    – Ben Brocka
    Apr 25, 2012 at 21:24
  • My only concern with window is that it's still not so clear when presented on it's own that it's about the UI element and could be easily confused with the OS.
    – JonW Mod
    Apr 25, 2012 at 21:24
  • @JonW: We just need to make sure that the tag wiki is clear. It's visible during tagging, after all.
    – dnbrv
    Apr 25, 2012 at 21:28
  • @JonW windows-os still shows up when you type window so it should be fairly clear
    – Ben Brocka
    Apr 26, 2012 at 23:40

is fine. Perhaps or just instead?

  • 1
    I don't think people would understand what wimp is and come up with that as a tag on their own when asking questions. Apr 25, 2012 at 18:35
  • 3
    I was thinking "window" to make it clear it's not the OS
    – Ben Brocka
    Apr 25, 2012 at 18:48
  • @CharlesBoyung provided it has a good wiki article about it then it shouldn't be a problem. But I agree that it's not as well known a term so probably wouldn't be picked by the question posters and would rely on community edits to attach the relevant tag.
    – JonW Mod
    Apr 25, 2012 at 21:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .